Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Hi, I'm a Marvel...and he's a DC

Hi, I'm a Marvel...and he's a DC
Hi, I'm a Marvel...and he's a DC uses super heroes and found object puppetry to send up Apple's popular I'm a Mac...and I'm PC commercials.

This has got to be one of the funniest things I've ever seen on YouTube; it's been around for over a year and half, but I only discovered it this week. Hi, I'm a Marvel...and he's a DC is a long running series of parodies produced by Michael Agrusso and Brinna Li. The videos spoof the popular Get a Mac commercials using superhero characters like Batman and Spiderman that are brought to life using simple found object puppetry techniques.

Michael - who is a writer, performer and voice coach based in L.A. - was inspired to create the series in early 2007, after reading that features films based on DC Comics character The Flash and Wonder Woman had both lost their directors due to creative differences with Warner Bros. on the same day while Marvel comic book franchises like Spiderman, X-Men and Iron Man were either made millions at the box office or were currently in production. Michael saw parallels between Marvel/Macintosh and DC/PC and Hi, I'm a Marvel...and I'm a DC was born.

The earliest videos were filmed simply against a white sheet, with Michael and Brinna performing action figures in real time in front of an iMovie camera. Later videos are a little more sophisticated, sometimes utilizing stop motion animation techniques and using more sophisticated sets and story lines. My personal favourites are the ones that feature Iron Man and Batman:



The series has become so popular that it has been featured on the official Marvel web site and Michael's YouTube channel currently has over 60,000 subscribers, including the likes of Iron Man director Jon Favreau.

Special thanks to quite-possibly-the-world's-greatest-sock-monkey-maker Robin, for introducing me to these!