Monday, August 07, 2006

dotBoom Episode One

dotBoom logo

The first episode of Brian Hogg's puppet series dotBoom is now available online. Brian's goal with dotBoom is probably insane - he wants to singlehandly produce an entire season's worth of 30 minute episodes of dotBoom - but he's off to a great start. The show is a little rough around the edges at this stage, but conceptually I really, really like it.

Dotboom is shot in HD and looks great. Also, the show has got to have the coolest opening and closing credits of any puppet web series I've ever seen. I think the pacing could be a lot tighter, and the jokes are really, really specific to the web development industry (if you've worked in it you'll appreciate the humour, if you haven't you might be left scratching your head) but no matter. What I love about the show is that watching it I think it's the first time I've ever actually been able to personally relate to a puppet web series - I've sat in on meetings with inept clients and bosses just like the ones Brian depicts in the show.

I like that Brian is doing puppet web series and really has something he wants to say and is writing from a really well thought-out point of view. He's also producing this whole thing more or less by himself in his basement (with the help of puppeteers Kanja Chen, Kim Mahony and Nick Cumming) so he deserves über-props for that as well.

In addition to the first episode, Brian's also recorded an audio commentary track for episode one of dotBoom that you can download and listen to. If you enjoy the episode be sure to Digg It.